Friday, July 8, 2011

All About Vinegar

I love vinegar. I think it helps me digest things. My favorite is white wine vinegar. It has a very subtle flavor that compliments everything. If you are gluten free, you can't have malt vinegar, but you can have all of these kinds:

White wine vinegar: My favorite. Nice subtle flavor. If you used to put malt vinegar on your fries, try white wine vinegar as a substitute.
White vinegar: Very plain. Blends in to the background, a good substitute if you don't have anything else or if you're using for baking.
Rice vinegar: Subtle. Can substitute for white wine vinegar.
Apple cider vinegar: Has kind of a sweet flavor. Stronger than white wine, but not as strong as red wine and balsamic. I like it for baking, desserts, and some salads.
Red wine: I find it pretty overpowering and I don't use it very much, but it can be really good in salad.
Balsamic vinegar: Strong flavor, only use a little bit and maybe mix with other vinegars. Although it's strong, I don't find it to be over powering in the same way red wine vinegar is. I like it in salads, in roasted vegetables, in pot roast, and in stews.

No comments:

Post a Comment